Saturday, October 5, 2019

My Favourite Way to Travel


I've always loved going on a train. Just the motion of a train feels relaxing. Watching the scenary speed past is mesmorising. I love watching the hustle of people travelling, running for the train and manhandling cases onto the platform as they leave.


I recently decided that I'd like to train travel more often so I picked a popular route, Settle to Carlisle, and hopped on a train to experience it. As much as I love trains. it's not quite as relaxing if you're travelling with kids, or for work, or if you're in a hurry. I was travelling alone for leisure so I felt sure it'd be great.


It was certainly a picturesque route travelling 73 miles over the Yorkshire Moors and North Pennines. You can see the three peaks from the train and it was nice to see Pen-y-ghent again under less tiring circumstances!


I love the Yorkshire countryside so I was kept busy looking out of the window. On my way up to Carlisle there was a volunteer in the carriage pointing out points of interest along the way. Geoff said he'd been volunteering for 10 years but he still enjoyed the views just as much.


I treated myself to a hot chocolate and a kit kat from the trolley when it went past. Such luxury!


I took a few pictures (as you can see) but I tried to enjoy the trip in the moment rather than try to get great pictures (difficult on a speeding train anyway!). On the journey back it rained all the way but I still enjoyed it. The rain added to the bleakness of the expansive countryside making it more impressive if anything.


I even had time to tackle the Metro crossword. Not the cryptic one though, I've never been able to finish a cryptic crossword without my Dad's help.


It was just the relaxing kind of trip that I'd been wanting. Time to myself to read and take in the scenary. I'd taken along a detective novel set in Yorkshire (in Giggleswick near Settle actually) which was perfect.


Carlisle was a nice place to visit when I finally got there. But for me it was all about the journey. I'd chatted to a few people along the way but it was nice to travel mostly alone. I didn't have to think about anyone else or worry they were bored. Just me, my book and the endless Yorkshire Dales stretching out all around me.


I enjoyed it so much I'll likely do it again. maybe Wales next time or up the East Coast through Northumberland. Let me know if you know of any scenic train journeys I should go on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

// following script until attribution comment is to add pinterest button