Saturday, November 9, 2019

Ditch the Toxic Media in Your Life

I haven't read a women's magazine in years. They make me feel bad. If it's the kind with an impossibly toned woman on the front doing a yoga position I could only dream of, it makes me feel bad. If it's a magazine with a glamorous celeb on the front, it makes me feel bad. If it's the trashier kind of women's magazine pointing out cellulite and fat on minor celebrities, it makes me feel bad.



Magazines just make me feel bad. They make us all feel bad even if we don't realise it. It might superficially make you feel good that celebs have cellulite too but really when you're having a laugh at a pock marked celeb bum you're just re-inforcing to yourself that it's terrible to have cellulite. Which will inevitably make you feel bad. You'll imagine that if anyone ever saw your bum they'd shriek in horror or even worse laugh.

Nothing you read in that magazine will help you become toned, famous or perfect. It'll just make you realise that you're none of those things. Of course, nobody is perfect. All magazine covers are staged and airbrushed. Why pay to feel bad about yourself? So, no magazines for me!

Until recently when a new magazine appeared on the shelves. It's called In The Moment, tagline Wellness Mindfullness Happiness! Yes please, I'll have some of that.

I subscribed with an offer for the first 5 editions for £5. It gets posted through my door every month and I can honestly say it is pure fucking joy reading it.


There are no bullshit headlines making you feel bad about yourself. No horrible ads trying to make you feel bad about yourself (there are ads but they're not the majority of the magazine being all glossy and in your face). There's no celebs, no cellulite, no toned yoga person. No tips to make you look younger or lose 10 pounds.

And relax!

What you do get is interesting content. You get a pleasant matt drawn cover. You get articles such as:

Simple winter rituals to help you thrive.

Be spontaneous, find wonder in every day.

Slow down, feel calm and be kind to yourself.

It's full of thoughtful ways to make your life happier. As I read it I find myself wanting to jot down things to try or films to watch or books to read. It's so refreshing to be reading useful articles about having less stress and trying to reduce anxiety.

I'm off to drink a nice cup of tea and have a read :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

// following script until attribution comment is to add pinterest button