Saturday, February 15, 2020

Family Game Review - Monopoly Deal





This one needs a bit of backstory. I LOVE Monopoly, it's one of my favourite all time board games. My sister Caroline and I used to play it (what felt like) constantly as kids. In our shared bedroom we'd often have a game on the go set up on the floor. I don't advise this, too much chance of someone (most likely me) slipping money onto their pile while the other person is absent. We'd even role play as rich women (Alexis and Krystal from Dynasty) while we bought and sold property!

JD on the other hand hates Monopoly and can seldom be cajoled into playing it with me. He doesn't like that it takes ages to play and there's often a slow painful losing for one player. I can't deny that fact but it doesn't detract from my enjoyment as I'm usually winning. :D



Anyway, as a compromise JD bought me Monopoly Deal for Christmas and it combines my two game loves, Monopoly and Card games. It only takes about 10 minutes per game and it's all Monopoly-ly so we're both happy.



You start off with 5 cards each. When it's your turn you pick up 2 cards from the pile and can play 3 cards. Playing cards is usually taking a money card from your hand and playing it into your cash pile, playing a property card into your property area or playing an action card next to the pile. The object of the game is to collect 3 full sets of property (and to stop your opponents doing so).


Some of the action cards. Pass Go lets you draw 2 extra cards. Rent lets you charge rent to a matching coloured property. Debt Collector lets you collect money from anyone playing.



Here is my layout. Cash on the left. Orange properties with a house added increases the rent you can collect. Property wild cards can be used on any colour property. Which means I've got 3 sets of property. Hurrah I win!


The worst card of the game is Deal Breaker, it lets you steal an entire property set from another player. The best card is Just Say No, it lets you say 'naff off' to anyone trying to steal your properties.

It's a really fun game and we play it often. Even the kids will play it sometimes after tea because it doesn't last too long. It still gives me the Monopoly feeling to play so it definitely gets a thumbs up from me.

Ratings: JD - 4, Emma - 5, Val - 3, Erin -3


Other Game Reviews:

Battleblock Theater

Cluedo

Guts of Glory

Spelunky

Mint Tin Mini Apocalypse

Escape: Curse of the Temple

Exit: The Polar Station

Dungeons & Dragons

Keep Talking & Nobody Explodes

No comments:

Post a Comment

// following script until attribution comment is to add pinterest button