Saturday, September 12, 2020

How we Organise our Cleaning

 


Cleaning is a thing I struggle with. I never feel like doing it and I put it off as much as I can. I don't mind tidying, the house is always tidy and looks nice but I know I should clean more often.

JD came up with a solution to my troubles by downloading the Chores App. It lets you add all the jobs that need doing and spreads them out over time so you're only doing a few minutes a day.


I find it much easier to manage this way. Instead of feeling every day like I should do more I just look what is scheduled to be done and do it.


The jobs are broken up into smaller jobs (like sweep the kitchen and mop the kitchen) so that each job only takes roughly 5 minutes to do.


I don't end up doing more than 15 minutes a day but it feels like I'm keeping on top of things.


Of course there are daily jobs to be done that can't be added here such as setting the table, making tea, washing up and laundry. But those jobs are already done between us. Erin sets the table and sometimes makes tea. JD takes care of the laundry plus sometimes washes up. I usually make tea and sometimes wash up.


The app includes a scoreboard so we can see who's doing what. This is a funny example of it because it looks like I do the most but it's usually a lot more split between JD and I with a few bits from Val and Erin. Having a scoreboard weirdly pleases me. It also shows who won the week (we should have prizes for the winner tbh, since it's often me! :D)


You can have the app on your phone or on a desktop like this and it's so helpful that we can all see what needs doing anytime. It's so simple for the kids to look and see how they can help out any given day. Sometimes I let the jobs build up and have a catch up day but it never gets really out of hand any more.


This app makes us feel organised with the cleaning. JD can look on his days off and see what I've done and what needs doing. I try to encourage the kids to do one job a week and they can pick a favourable job from the list and do it. With smaller kids you could allocate them jobs using the app too.

Give it a try if you want to feel more organised.


No comments:

Post a Comment

// following script until attribution comment is to add pinterest button