Saturday, October 6, 2018

Emma's Exercise Experiments: Other Activities Part 1



Over the year so far, as well as trying a new exercise method each month we've also tried out a few other activities on a one-off basis. Here are some other things we've tried:

Nordic Walking

We did an introductory session to give it a try. You walk using specially designed poles that strap to your hands. It works out your arms as well as legs and is supposed to be good for your back/posture too. It was interesting to try, you walk very straight backed almost like marching as the pole movements propel you along. Walking with poles is very good for your joints so it's a great exercise for older people especially. We enjoyed the intro session but the full course to learn it properly was quite pricey so we left it there.


If you're a Nordic Walker please excuse any lack of form in these pictures! :D


Kayaking

A friend loaned us her kayak so we took it to a local river and had a go. I was initially worried about my weight being an issue but I was perfectly buoyant in the kayak and had a lovely time on the river. Getting in and out of the kayak was tricky for me because of my knee injury at the time so after a couple of tries I found it easier to flip the kayak on it's side and fall out. Not so graceful but pain-free.




Outdoor or Wild Swimming

I love swimming and being in the water and I've wanted to try wild swimming for ages. So this year I decided to go for it. On a trip to the coast I swam in the sea. It was amazing, if I lived near the sea I'd want to do this daily.


Swimming against the tide was great fun, letting the waves lift you up and drop you back down. I loved it.

I also tried river swimming when we went kayaking. It looks nice and peaceful in the picture but just along the river about 12 bikini clad teenage girls were shrieking about how cold the water was, haha. They eventually got in to swim and quietened down. I also had an audience of elderly couples in fold out chairs with flasks too. Lucky I'm not too self-conscious in my swimmng costume these days or it would've been a nightmare! I really enjoyed swimming outdoors, I'll have to be brave and try it when it's not summer and see if I'm just as keen.



There are a few more of these to follow in Part 2, watch this space :)

 Previously on Emma's Exercise Experiments:

Gym 

Yoga

Bootcamp

Boxing 

Pilates

Tai Chi 

Pokemon Go 

Aquafit

Outside Gym 

Salsa Lessons

No comments:

Post a Comment

// following script until attribution comment is to add pinterest button