Saturday, November 17, 2018

Subscription Box Review: Gousto







We're trying another recipe box subscription service, this time it's Gousto's turn to try to impress us.

JD and I will be making and sampling 4 recipes for 2 which usually costs £34.99. I used an offer from another app which got me this first box for £12.


They deliver every day of the week from 8am - 7pm. Our box arrived on a Sunday and we were given a 1 hour delivery slot via tracking info on the day.


The box was well packed with all the veg/ ambient stuff on one side and the stuff to be chilled in a cold bag filled with wool and disposable ice packs on the other side. Everything is measured out and ready to use in the recipes. There were four recipe cards each with a day range (mostly 3-4 days) the meal had to be made by.


We  even got a wooden spoon included as a free gift.

On Monday JD made us Thai Basil Pork with Green Beans



This was served with Tilda microwaveable rice which was included in the box. It was really tasty! The recipe used pork mince and we've never used minced meat in a stir fry but it worked really well. One of the nicest things about this recipe was the garlic and ginger were in paste form in a plastic sachet. That makes things really quick on weeknight. Also really easy for a novice cook.

On Tuesday JD made us Minted Lamb and Feta Bulgur



Another minced meat dish but also really tasty. The bulgur wheat had chopped cucumber and feta mixed into it, so good. Then the minced lamb was mixed with tomato paste and spices to make a lovely sauce to top the bulgur. This recipe was another quick one to make. Very nice!

On Wednesday I made us Chicken, Kale and Butter Bean Broth



This dish was different to food we normally eat. Shredded chicken, kale and butter beans in a cream cheese thickened broth. It was lovely. So simple to put together with really fresh flavours from the lemon and black pepper. We really enjoyed it.

On Thursday I made us American Cheeseburgers and Potato Wedges



There was a bit more to this recipe. I made pickled mustard cucumbers and potato wedges as sides following the recipes. Then I actually had to peel and crush garlic (so not fair!) to make the burgers. Which were topped with burger sauce (which I made), cheese and fried onions (which I had to sprinkle on). It was really good. All the extra touches made for a decent burger meal.

All the meals were really well thought out. It's really luxurious to be cooking without any of the cleaning up you have to do when you're constantly weighing out ingredients. It just makes everything easier. And to think I once made fun of my Dad for buying pre-cut onions. (Sorry Dad).

It's nice to have so much choice in recipes on the Gousto site. You could have something different every day for a month. I enjoyed picking out 4 recipes to try, there were lots of interesting looking meals.

Again, some of the meals were on the small side portion wise. I'm starting to think it's some worldwide conspiracy to make me and JD feel bad. Well, we don't. :(

Just from using this service as a one-off I've picked up some nice recipe ideas to try myself. I think I might be getting addicted to trying out these subscription boxes. It's so nice to get a parcel of food. Send help (or food). :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

// following script until attribution comment is to add pinterest button