Saturday, May 8, 2021

A-Z Blogging Challenge - P is for Pikelets

 


We got a new toaster recently and it's a wider one that fits things like crumpets and waffles. It got me thinking about what else I could toast in it. I remembered years ago (probably 20) when I worked at Betty's Bakery that I used to love the pikelets they made and often had them for breakfast after my shift. Our local supermarket doesn't sell them so I decided to make my own.


Ingredients:

200g flour

1 teaspoon yeast

1 teaspoon sugar

1 egg

250ml warm milk

1 teaspoon salt


Mix the flour, yeast and sugar and then add the egg and milk. Leave the batter for an hour and it should look like this.

Add the teaspoon of salt and the batter will turn smooth and thick. Dollop spoonfuls into a hot oiled pan 3 at a time to make up a pikelet.

As the pikelets cook air bubbles will form on the top. When the undersides are cooked, flip them over and cook for another 1-2 minutes and they're done!


You can eat them immediately whilst still warm or heat them later in your toaster/grill. They're halfway between a crumpet and a pancake so can be eaten sweet or savoury. I ate one with just butter and then one with lemon curd, both were excellent. Super easy to make and just the thing for a snack or warm breakfast.


P.S. Also good with jam 😀


No comments:

Post a Comment

// following script until attribution comment is to add pinterest button