Saturday, May 1, 2021

Trying New Crafts 2/5 - Needle Felting

 


Next on my list of crafts to try is Needle Felting. I'm not entirely sure what it involves to be honest but I'm about to find out. I picked out this kit because it has everything you need and it makes this cute little Blue Tit.


I'm hoping my blue tit turns out looking like it should unlike this unfortunate penguin on one of my favourite TikToks ever 😂


The first job was to make the feet by twisting wire.


I'd soon made both legs and left a frame for the head and tail.


Next I wrapped a pipe cleaner around the body frame to make the wool stick easier. Then it was time for the felting part. Adding small amounts of wool and then jabbing the needle in and out to fuse it together. There was a small mat provided for this and it was quite nice to do.


Soon I felt like I had a good bird shape and the body was feeling more firm the more I felted.


I added some yellow wool for his underbelly and felted it into place.


Next I added some wings and some colouring on his back.


Lots of details were then added on his wings, head and face including two little eye beads and a beak made from felt. I also gave him a longer tail.





I think I made the head a bit small which made it difficult when I came to add the face. But, not bad for a first try. It is a little quasimodo-esque but I still love him 😊

Felting is quite a nice craft to do, I put some music on and just sat jabbing with the needle. It's simple but the more you do it, the more detail you can achieve. The kit I bought was nice as it had everything you needed for the project and I'm left with a lot of wool so I could do something else with that. I'm glad I've given it a try.

Next up - Cross Stitch

No comments:

Post a Comment

// following script until attribution comment is to add pinterest button