Saturday, December 15, 2018

Emma's Exercise Experiments - The End of the Year



For the last month I've been swimming each week. Sometimes alone and sometimes with my daughter Erin. Swimming is great exercise for all of your body. Erin and I focused on swimming lengths, trying to improve our previous weeks total. We also did some exercises in the water which is really good resistance. We went to our local pool The Hydro which has been much used by me this year doing various activities.

Now swimming is finished I've reached the end of my year long goal of trying lots of new exercise types. There's just a couple of things to catch up that I haven't posted about yet.

Bouldering


This form of rock climbing is easier to try for beginners because you don't need much equipment to give it a go. No ropes, helmets or harnesses. You can wear climbing shoes and use chalk if you want.

We went along to Harrogate Climbing Centre for a bouldering taster session.

Next stop, Ninja Warrior.

The different colour holds show you how hard each colour set are. The spotted pink ones were the easiest so we started with those. You start at the bottom and work your way to the top sticking to the same colour as you go. I look very pleased with myself for being about two foot off the ground here!

JD showing off.
It was crazy how small some of the holds were, about as big as a credit card and only deep enough to get your finger tips on. Others were so smooth it was impossible to grip them. It was nice to have a go at bouldering but I don't think my knees would thank me for going back!

River Trekking

 

This activity is called lots of different things but is basically just walking up a river or stream. It's apparently very popular in Japan. It's just my sort of thing to do on a hot day. It felt a bit precarious and I wished I'd brought my walking poles as people often use them for walking in water. Luckily the water was quite shallow where we walked so I didn't get swept away. I'd like to try it again with poles in a deeper stream. It's a lovely way to enjoy a new perspective out in the countryside.


JD and I have just been recapping about our year of exercise and we decided we've learned quite a lot over the last 12 months.

For me the most encouraging thing about all the classes has been that I've been made to feel welcome at every one. As a fat woman it's quite intimidating to walk into a new class not knowing if you'll be able to keep up. Well after a year I can tell you that it doesn't matter if you can keep up or not. Whatever size or fitness level you're at the exercise can be adapted to suit you. If the instructor isn't willing to give you an alternative exercise to one you can't manage then you need a new instructor. Don't be afraid to ask for help if you need it. With my knee problems over the last couple of years there are a few things I no longer feel comfortable doing and all the instructors I've come accross this year have been happy to work around any problems I had. If you don't feel happy in a class, try a different one or a different exercise. Exercise is most effective when you enjoy it because you'll keep doing it.

JD has discovered that he doesn't really enjoy aerobic exercise. He doesn't get the endorphin rush that I do at the end of a class. Maybe because he finds the class easier physically? That makes it less enjoyable for him and he's often feeling that an hour is too long for a class. We both agree that we enjoy trying new things. We've enjoyed learning new skills and adapting them for woking out at home. JD still does the Tai Chi stretches at home. We sometimes do the boxing moves we learned in Boot Camp alternated with squats, lunges and star jumps. I've got a yoga mat set up so I can do some yoga stretches and I've recently bought a kettlebell for home so I can do that too.

Our Top 3 picks:

JD - Yoga, Salsa and Kettlebells

Emma - Boot Camp, Aquafit and Boxing

There are still some exercise things (Zumba and Spin Cycling) I didn't get to try but with my new found class confidence I'll be trying those in the New Year. When I started trying new exercise things I was hoping to discover something I loved but to be honest my favourite thing is still walking in the countryside. I haven't tried anything that feels better than walking through woods, fields and along rivers for me. But I've had lots of fun looking!

Overall it's been a fantastic experience for me. I'm really proud of myself for getting out there and being brave trying new exercise types. I feel more confident in my body's abilities. I know what I can do and what I can't do now. I feel fitter than the start of the year and stronger too. This year has been the most exercise I've ever done. It's been a consistent 1 or 2 hour long sessions a week with only 4 weeks missed all year. Not bad for an arthritic 45 year old fat woman. :)

Previously on Emma's Exercise Experiments:

Gym 

Yoga

Bootcamp

Boxing 

Pilates

Tai Chi 

Pokemon Go 

Aquafit

Outside Gym 

Salsa Lessons

Other Activities 

Nia

Kettlebell Class 

No comments:

Post a Comment

// following script until attribution comment is to add pinterest button