Saturday, May 23, 2020

Watch The Birdie - Half Way!



A few days ago JD and I were having lunch and spotted this goldfinch through our dining room window. It stayed for about 20 minutes hopping from dandelion to dandelion opening up the tops and eating the seeds. I'd recently been complaining about the dandelions in the front yard but I'm glad they were there as that goldfinch had the time of it's tiny life. Seeing him gave me 10 points in my I-spy book getting my total to 500 points which is officially half way!



It's been a bit slow on the bird watching front until recently. After the enthusiasm of starting off, winter came and we went out walking less and now this year spring has sprung but we've mostly been inside under lockdown. We've been getting out for walks a bit more regularly now and my bird feeder has *finally* attracted some visitors. So I am again hopeful.

Since the last update my sister Caroline has joined the challenge but both her and Sally are working from home with increased workloads due to the corona virus so they're both finding it hard to commit time to birdwatching. Hopefully things will continue to improve and there'll be news from them soon.



It's really nice to have birds come to the back garden now and there's usually something to see when I wash up. I've seen coal tits, blue tits, magpies, pigeons, starlings, sparrows, dunnocks and a brambling. The smaller birds seem to love the bird seed and sweep their beaks from side to side in it knocking a lot of it to the ground where they will fly to pick it up. It's great to watch!


Also new since last time are these moorhens and this pheasant.


It's almost been a year since we started this challenge on 22nd June 2019 so it's all taking longer than we thought for a kids challenge! Still, we're sticking with it :)

Previous posts:



No comments:

Post a Comment

// following script until attribution comment is to add pinterest button