Saturday, May 2, 2020

A Year of Learning - Harmonica





For April I'm going to be learning how to play the harmonica. I bought this Lee Oskar harmonica when I was about 16 and I've kept it for years meaning to learn how to play it. I did have a go when I first got it and managed to learn a couple of songs (Camptown Races and She'll be coming round the mountain) but I've long since forgotten (it was 30+ years ago) so I'm starting again.


I signed up to a 30 day course on Udemy. It was £10.99 with a money back guarantee. I'm also using Youtube tutorials to learn simple tunes as well as the site Harmonica Tabs 4 Kids (haha!).



I'm enjoying the course and it's very thorough for 2 minutes a day! I've learned how to hold the harmonica properly as well as different techniques such as chugging and train sounds. I've also learned how to play puckered notes, tongue split notes and tongue blocked notes! I'm making some slow progress on playing a tune as well, shown in the video below. :D


Halfway through and I'm finding this month difficult to be honest. A lot of the learning is very repetitive, just trying to play a tune over and over. I struggle with this kind of learning and motivating myself to do it. I'm perservering but it's hard to! The Udemy course has moved on to single notes, scales and tunes. I like the structured approach to learning the theory of playing harmonica.


I'm worried everyone in the house is getting sick of hearing Oh Susannah now as I've been playing it for a few weeks. I'm holding the harmonica correctly in this video at least. I'm playing constantly without pauses to check which hole I should start the next line on which feels very accomplished.

I'm pleased with my progress this month as I've only practised for a few minutes each day along with 2 minutes of the Udemy course. I enjoyed it overall even though it got a bit repetitive at times. I've learned that this kind a learning isn't as enjoyable for me. I like more variety.

This year of learning is partly to free up my mind of all the niggling things I feel I should do. Playing harmonica (or trying to) is definitely one of these and finally I can tell myself I've done it and move on. If anyone needs a harmonica player to play a slow, unsure rendition of Oh Susannah I'm available for weddings etc :D

Next up: Writing

Previously on A Year of Learning:

Smartphone Photography

Breadmaking

Arduino Programming

No comments:

Post a Comment

// following script until attribution comment is to add pinterest button