Saturday, May 9, 2020

Home-made Takeaways - Doner Kebab



I'd usually make this kind of blog post to extol the benefits of saving money by making your own takeaway at home. BUT, due to this corona virus lockdown it's more about enjoying some food that isn't accessible right now.



In a previous Harrogate Cheap Eats I enthused about our favourite kebab place I Am Doner. It's currently closed so there's no way to get my kebab fix. So I decided to have a go recreating it at home. I don't expect it to be as fantastic as the real deal but I'm desperate!

I had to use beef mince rather than lamb because I've been unable to get hold of lamb mince lately. I seasoned it with salt, pepper, paprika, cumin, coriander, garlic and onion granules. Mixed it well and cooked it in the oven at 200 C in a loaf tin for 20 minutes. Let it rest a few minutes and then slice it as thinly as you can. (Not very if you're me and too excited about having a kebab soon!)

This recipe is similar if you want to make your own.


I'd bought some huge flatbreads to serve the meat on and I garnished the kebab with pickled cabbage, red onion, cucumber and lettuce. Finally I gave a good squeeze of some garlic mayo and we're all set.


It was a huge kebab but so are the I Am Doner ones.


It was really nice to have our favourite takeaway made at home and it'll keep us going until I Am Doner re-opens. In hindsight I missed out on feta cheese and halloumi which are usually in there. Next time! It was delicious either way. JD ate his the traditional way in his hands whereas I used a knife and fork to ensure I got a bit of everything in each mouthful. We thoroughly enjoyed our home-made kebabs :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

// following script until attribution comment is to add pinterest button