Saturday, October 18, 2014

Saturday Sandwich 29: Broodje Kroket

This week's sandwich is from The Netherlands and is basically a meat croquette in a bread bun. Sounds interesting at least :)

Here's a link to the recipe if you want to try it yourself --> Broodje Kroket


To start with I made some bechamel sauce.


 JD chopped up some roast beef, onion, mushrooms and some thyme.



 Chop it all up in the food processor to form a chunky paste.


 JD rolled the paste into log shapes and breaded them.


Then we fried them until browned.


 Serve in a bread bun with mustard.



This sandwich was very different from anything I've had before. The only croquettes I've had previously were potato ones. The flavours all seemed really British to me especially the pairing of roast beef and mustard. Thankfully the mushrooms didn't add much flavour but the thyme and onion together with the beef was a great combination. It was surprising how easy it was to fry such a soft thing since we've had difficulty frying before but they fried perfectly. The sandwich was odd to eat, a soft bread roll with a crunchy croquette filled with a soft pate like filling. If you make these then be careful when you bite into it as I burned my mouth! This sandwich was a bit too much effort to make but I'm glad I did as it's a unique taste that I'm glad to have tried.

Ratings: JD - 3/5, Emma - 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

// following script until attribution comment is to add pinterest button