Saturday, August 1, 2020

A Year of Learning - Crochet


I've always been a fan of knitting and I've knitted on and off for years making quite short projects because I like to get things done. But despite buying a crochet hook years ago I've never got round to learning how to crochet.

July is the time to learn! Erin decided  to join in with me and I bought her a hook too and stocked up on wool.


We started off by watching a tutorial on Youtube. It was for beginners but the girl crocheting was going too fast for us and every time we looked down to check we were doing it right she'd done something else before we could see what was happening. We had quite the hilarious time and laughed so hard that my sides hurt.


We both managed to do a slipknot okay and found chaining very simple but after that it all went downhill.


We were struggling. It's really fiddly and we weren't totally sure what we were doing. We both started again after our crochet started to look uneven and changed to a video that said it went 'super slow'. Maybe this would be more our speed.


It wasn't. So I decided to blame the wool. It was made up of three threads which made it very easy to muddle up the threads when we were trying to yarn over and go in between Vs. (Crochet lingo :D). We decided to start AGAIN with wider wool that I was currently knitting with to make a scarf. We got quite far this time but something was going wrong. I was trying to crochet a simple square and this happened.


Haha! You might notice that it's more triangular. Argh! At this point we're both wanting to give up and do something more fun. Something less fiddly. But we persevered.

We carried on crocheting just a bit every day. After another week of this I decided crochet wasn't for me. I didn't enjoy it and had to force myself to do it each day. I could've carried on for the purposes of this blog post but I didn't. Crochet was something I always wanted to learn and now I have. I've learned I don't like it.


Erin on the other hand, loves it! She's kept going and crocheted with all different thicknesses of wool to experiment. Which is really pleasing for me because I encouraged her to join me in learning and now she's found a new hobby. It also lets me off the (crochet) hook because now I have pictures of Erin's crocheting to share. 



She even made me a crocheted pan rest for my casserole dish. Thanks Erin! :D

Next month: Graphic Design


No comments:

Post a Comment

// following script until attribution comment is to add pinterest button